77 kms from Chandigarh
A hill station popular for its unspoiled charm and
quiet nature trails. At night one gets a lovely view of the lights of Chandigarh
from here. Several reputed public schools are located near Kasauli, the one at
Sanawar being the most prestigious. Have variety of tourist engagements as
- Baptist Church
Kasauli Baptist Church is a 1923 brick and wood building situated close to
the Sadar Bazzar. According to The Indian Express it is "considered a unique
example of colonial architecture of the British era". In 2008 the church was
damaged by a fire which destroyed all internal furnishings.
- Central Research Institute
The Central Research Institute (CRI), originally the Pasteur Institute of
India, was established at Kasauli in 1904 under its first director Sir David
Semple, as an institute working in the fields of immunology and virological
research. The CRI works as a World Health Organization ‘Collaborating
Centre’, and as an immuno-biological laboratory producing vaccines for
measles and polio, and the DTP group of vaccines. It also provides a Master
of Science programme in Microbiology.
- Christ Church, Kasauli
Christ Church was previously an Anglican church, inaugurated on 24 July
1853. Since 1970 it has been under the auspices of the Church of North India
(CNI) in the diocese of Amritsar. The church contains Spanish and Italian
imported stained glass windows depicting Christ, Mary, Saint Barnabas and
The Parsonage was built in 1850 for priests of the Anglican church.
- Gurudwara Shri Guru Nanak Ji
The Gurudwara (Sikh house of worship and hospitality) Shri Guru Nanak Ji is
located in the Gharkhal bazaar near Kasauli. A further Sikh Gurudwara
lies on the Kasauli-Mashobra (old Hindustan-Tibet) Road near the Air Force
- Kasauli Brewery
The Kasauli Brewery and distillery, founded in the 1820s before the
establishment of the Kasauli cantonment, is the oldest extant distillery for
'scotch whisky' in Asia. ]The Kasauli brewery is also known as Mohan Meakins.
- Kasauli Club
The Kasauli Club was established by civilians and service personnel in 1880,
as the Kasauli Reading and Assembly Rooms. It gained its present name in
1898 when a limited liability company and constitution were established; its
first director was Sir David Semple of Kasauli's Pasteur Institute. At the
time the Club was for the exclusive use of the British Raj, and held social
meetings, tea and dinner dances, and galas. In 1915 regimental officers at
Dagshai, Solan and Subathu could be admitted as honorary members. At
Independence in 1947, plans to sell the then loss-making Club failed.