The Panjab University (previously named University of the Punjab) was founded in 1882 at Lahore as the fourth teaching and affiliating University on the Indian Subcontinent under British rule. After partition and initial dislocation, the University shifted to Chandigarh in 1956. Its red sand stone campus, designed by renowned French architects, came up within a few years. After the bifurcation of Punjab and Haryana in 1966, the University became an Inter State Body Corporate substantially supported by the Central Government, and drawing students from the northern region and beyond. Students from the developing countries too come to the Panjab University for education and research. During the previous year (1997) over 18,000 students were enrolled in the University Teaching Departments (over 13,000 in its Department of Correspondence Studies), and over 69,000 students were enrolled in the 104 affiliated colleges.
To the postgraduate and undergraduate students in its Teaching Departments at Chandigarh (the latter only in Honours School in Science), the University offers a beautifully laid out compact campus with modern amenities in a pollution-free environment. With its most modern laboratories and equipment, and on of the largest libraries in Asia, the Panjab University offers tremendous opportunities to its students who interact with students from all over India and abroad. They learn from a Faculty of national and international repute. They get exposure to a variety of academic, cultural and youth leadership programs. After passing out many get absorbed in various professions and corporate sector in the country and also go for work and higher study outside India.
It is one of the most modern & prestigious institutions in India.
The Government Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32 serves to augment the existing health care infrastructure in Chandigarh. Spread over 36 acres its buildings are at different stages of completion.
Chandigarh – The largest and the most daring experiment in modern urbanism has become the Mecca for architects from all over the world. Chandigarh’s pre-eminence as an ‘International City‘ rests largely on the world renowned architect that Le Corbuiser; who developed its master plan in 1951, based on his urban planning theories and the masterly architectural works.
What is not so well known is the fact that the 20th century's greatest architect also succeeded in getting Chandigarh College of Architecture (CCA) established as an integral part of the great Chandigarh Experiment. His conviction was that the creation of built environment, however brilliant and consequential, cannot be fully grasped- much less perpetuated – if the principles regulating its concept are not properly understood through study of various components of the city in use.
The CCA aims at developing its unique inherent potential and to inspire, support, sustain and continue academic programs whereby professionals – trained in the tradition of modern urbanism ushered in by the incomparable master- could extend the frontiers of Creativity in the pursuit of serving the Family of Man -- efficiently, comprehensively and beautifully.
Affiliated to the Panjab University, the Punjab Engineering College was started as Maclagan Engineering College in Lahore and was shifted to Chandigarh.
This college was founded in Lahore as the Mayo School of Art. After partition it was relocated in Chandigarh and was affiliated to Panjab University. The college provides a bachelor or fine arts degree in applied arts, graphics and print making, painting and sculpture.
Chandigarh has a Central Polytechnic in Sector 26, a Central Crafts Institute for Women in Sector 11, Government Polytechnic for Women in Sector 10, an Industrial Training Institute in Sector 28 and a Technical Teachers' Training Institution in Sector 26, all of which provide ample opportunity to acquire vocational skills.
The Food Craft Institute in Sector 42 was established in 1973 to train personnel for the hotel, restaurant and food products industry as well as to popularise wholesome foods which would add diversity to the traditional Indian diet. It offers specific training in 5 years: Front Office, Food and Beverages Service, Cookery, Bakery, Confectionary and House Keeping. The institute also runs a Training Restaurant (Nimantran) and a pastry shop (Elevenses) which are open to the public.
Dr. Ambedkar Institution of Hotel Management in Sector 42 was established in 1993. The institute offers a Diploma in Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition and provides trained personnel for restaurants, hotels, catering establishments, tourism and hospitality industry. Apart from full time professional courses, it also offers part time courses for industrial, personal and for technical skills upgradations.
There are number of degree colleges in sectors 10, 11, 26, 32, 36, 42, 45 and 46